Saturday, February 5, 2011

Antique Leeds Pottery Jug Advertising The Otley Market

I'd love to have this great pitcher in my pantry. I'd also like to be in Leeds England to attend the Otley Market. Documented history for the market begins in 1222 when King Henry III granted the first Royal Charter. The town had two cattle markets; market days are Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, and there is a Farmers' Market on the last Sunday of every month.

I'd prefer to have this jug filled with beer rather than milk since that would go better with The Best Beef. I wonder if a butcher commissioned this fabulous decoration? I'd love to see the front and other side too, wouldn't you? 

Content in a Cottage

2 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

I have a few jugs similar to this in my collection, but have never seen this Leeds jug! I want it!

Eve said...

Ahh, isn't that lovely! I actually used to live near Otley, but it was before I started collecting antiques...! (And now I live in Australia... damn!)
Will have to have a look the next time I'm back over there! :-)